Receding gums is a common issue among patients with moderate to severe gum disease. It is often caused by a buildup of plaque and bacteria that induces the tissue to become inflamed and detach from the teeth. When the gum line recedes past a certain point, the condition becomes somewhat serious. Teeth become more prone to decay and the roots are often increasingly sensitive to hot and cold temperatures.Unfortunately, receding gums can be difficult to detect until these symptoms become obvious. Given the prevalence of gum recession, The Doctors of VSDental take great care to check for signs of gum disease so that you can receive the proper gum recession treatment in a timely manner.
How is gum recession treated?
Most cases of receding gums can be treated through a short surgical procedure known as gum grafting. This is a type of gum recession treatment where a tissue sample is taken from the mouth and grafted onto the gum line. There are three different methods of gum grafting:
- Connective Tissue Grafts
- Free Gingival Grafts– These grafts utilize tissue samples directly from the roof of the mouth.
- Pedicle Grafts– Grafting with this method involves using tissue directly from the gum line that is stretched over to cover the tooth in need.
By attaching more tissue to the gum line, we can bring it to a safer and more aesthetically pleasing level.
How can I avoid gum recession?
Receding gums can often be avoided through a few simple steps:
- Brush and floss properly on a daily basis
- Visit your dentist at least twice a year
- Eat a healthy diet
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco
- Use a soft bristled or an electric toothbrush